emotion through imagery...
Hello, I'm Seán Kerr. I live in Dunblane, Scotland, with my wife, Jane, two children, Hannah and Cameron, and Miniature Schnauzers, Casper and Rudi!
After qualifying as a metallurgist, and after 30 years as an executive in the laboratory-testing sector, I set up a consulting business which, since 2014, I've combined with my work as a photographer.
I have a very keen interest in and respect for the natural world, with landscape and nature photography, including night photography, being my main passion. I've visited many countries in the world and feel fortunate to live in a country of such outstanding beauty that constantly inspires me. I really enjoy exploring it, connecting with it and trying to capture images that both fuse the landscape with the changing light and weather conditions and also convey an emotional connection.
My love of the natural world is fused with a deep passion for representing that world in context and with the utmost respect and integrity. In my images, I will always attempt to recreate the wonder of nature as it happened. In my view, the wow factor should come from nature, not over-processing and digital manipulation.
Apart from the need to be able to practice the craft of operating a camera, and to be well-organised and determined, to me, the true essence of great photography is the art, and I believe it is very much an art - to visualise a shot, to compose it and execute it so that the final image not only looks pleasing to the eye, but also has real context, evokes emotion and inspires the human imagination. I'm not saying that I achieve this every time, far from it, but it's what I focus on. The best images make us feel something special and that's what I will always strive for... emotion through imagery.
Seán Kerr: Scottish Landscape and Nature Photographer
I am proud to work in partnership as an official Ambassador with two of the world's premier photographic equipment companies, Zeiss Camera Lenses and Formatt-Hitech, both of whom play a vital role in my creative workflow.
For a 10% discount on Formatt-Hitech's range of outstanding filters, please use my discount code shown below.
Awards / Recognition
2015 - Shortlist Finalist and published in eBook
2016 - Shortlist Finalist, Commended, published in printed book and exhibited in Edinburgh
2017 - Shortlist Finalist
2016 - Final Shortlist and published in printed book
2017 - Commended, published in printed book (Collection 11) and exhibited in London
Articles and Interviews
DSLRs: Canon 5DSR and 6D
Compact: Sony RX100 iv
- Zeiss Milvus 2.8/18 ZE, Distagon 2.8/21 ZE, Milvus 1.4/25 ZE and Milvus 1.4/85 ZE
- Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM and Art 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF EF 85mm f/1.8 USM , EF TS-E 90mm f/2.8
- Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical and 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC
- Tamron 150-600 F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
- Kenko 1.4x
- Canon 2x extender iii and EF 12 II Extension Tube
- Canon Speedlites (600EX-RT and 420EX)
- Yongnuo 600EX with remote trigger
- Gitzo GT3542LS Systematic Tripod Carbon with Arca-Swiss D4 with Quick set device Classic head
- Manfrotto MX055 CXPRO4 with Q2 ball head
- Sirui T-025X tripod 5 with C-10S ball head
Monopod: Manfrotto 695CX with 234RC Head
- Formatt Hitech - Firecrest ND 3.0 (10 stops), Firecrest ND 1.8 (6 stops), Firecrest ND 0.9 (3 stops), Firecrest ND Soft Grads (2 and 3 stops)
- Lee - Big Stopper, Little Stopper and 0.9ND Pro Glass, ND hard grads (0.3, 0.6, 0.9), ND soft grads (0.6, 0.9), 105mm Circular Polariser, Hood
- NiSi - V5 system with various filters.
Bags: Far too many, but by far my main bag and favourite is my f-stop Gear Satori EXP backpack.
Other: Really Right Stuff L-Plates for Canon 5DS R and 6D, Hoodman H-LPP3 Professional SLR LCD Screen Loupe 3", Sigma USB Dock UD-01, Canon GP-E2 GPS Receiver